Settlement reached in civil case against former Terrace RCMP officer

Robert Wright says he suffered permanent brain damage after his arrest for drunk driving in 2012

A civil case against a former Terrace RCMP officer alleged to have assaulted a man after an arrest four years ago has been settled out of court.

Robert Wright, whose wife Heather Prisk says he suffered a permanent brain injury that requires full-time care after he was arrested and placed in cells by then-Terrace RCMP Const. Brian Heideman, sued for damages in a civil case filed in 2014.

“On behalf of Robert Wright, I am pleased to report that he has reached a settlement of all his civil claims with Constable Heideman and the RCMP arising from the tragic incident which took place on April 21, 2012 at the Terrace RCMP detachment,” wrote his lawyer Scott Stanley in a release today, March 10.

“This settlement will ensure that Robert has the care and support he needs while he and his wife bravely move forward with their lives. People who have suffered brain injuries encounter new challenges each day and this settlement will help Robert with those challenges.

“This is something that should never have happened. It is something that should never happen again. I believe the RCMP recognizes that it has many bridges to build with our First Nations People.”

While in custody, Wright struck his head and was taken to Mills Memorial Hospital several times over one night before being finally flown to Vancouver for treatment.

Details of the settlement stemming from the suit against Heideman and the RCMP are being kept confidential.

Lawyers for both sides had filed a number of affadavits of claims and counter claims since the first filing of the suit.

In details contained in the suit, Wright said Heideman caused him to strike his head, resulting in severe injuries which have damaged his ability to function.

Drawn into the suit in its latter stages were Mills Memorial Hospital, a physician and a nurse.

An application was filed in supreme civil court Feb. 18 to dismiss the claim against the hospital, doctor and nurse.

Wright’s civil trial was to start Feb. 22 in B.C. Supreme Court and 20 days of court time had been set aside.