Survey work equipment on the Sande Overpass July 4.

Survey work equipment on the Sande Overpass July 4.

Overpass work is just routine

The transportation ministry has repeated its position that the Sande Overpass - that it is sufficient.

  • Jul. 10, 2013 9:00 a.m.

THE PROVINCIAL transportation ministry has repeated its position that the Sande Overpass, the only route over the CN rail tracks dividing the city, is sufficient.

Queries were made when a two-person ministry crew, complete with survey equipment, was at work on the overpass July 4.

But a ministry email said the work picked up from a first survey earlier this year.

“The survey work …. was done to supplement the original survey data, as there was still snow on the ground when the original survey was conducted, which can affect accuracy,” the email stated.

The work ensures “the survey is complete, in the event that improvements to the intersection are warranted. As noted earlier, the ministry has looked at the Sande intersection and [has] determined that it is a functional and safe intersection. As such, at this time there are no immediate plans for works or construction on the intersection,” the email concluded.

Calls for a second overpass have grown since the Transport Canada ordered CN to block the Frank St. level rail cross to vehicle traffic because of safety concerns.

That leaves the Sande Overpass and the Kenney St. level rail crossing as the only routes connecting the city.

To date, neither the city, the provincial government nor CN have agreed on a way to either re-open the Frank St. crossing or lay the groundwork for a second overpass.

A second overpass could cost at least $9 million based on a preliminary cost estimate prepared six years ago and neither of the three parties has made a financial commitment.

A federal grant to pay for a portion of a second overpass was approved in 2007 after an application was made by CN. But the company subsequently decided an overpass wasn’t needed to meet its rail needs.

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Cases have gone up in Northern Health in the past week, as they have all over B.C. (K-J Millar/Black Press Media)
Northern Health reports new highest number of COVID-19 cases in one day

Nineteen cases were reported to Public Health last Tuesday (Nov. 17)

New COVID-19 restrictions forced the cancellation of the in-person portion of the second annual Festival of Trees event scheduled for Nov. 20 -21 in Terrace. (Pexels)
In-person event cancelled, online auction still a go for Terrace’s Festival of Trees

Dr. R.E.M. Lee Hospital Foundation was planning to host the event at Heritage Park

FILE – British Columbia provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry wears a face mask as she views the Murals of Gratitude exhibition in Vancouver, on Friday, July 3, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Masks now mandatory in all public indoor and retail spaces in B.C.

Many retailers and businesses had voiced their frustration with a lack of mask mandate before

(Photo courtesy of LNG Canada)
An aerial shot of Cedar Valley Lodge this past August, LNG Canada’s newest accommodation for workers. This is where several employees are isolating after a COVID-19 outbreak was declared Thursday.
COVID-19 outbreak at LNG Canada Project site

14 employees have tested positive for COVID-19 at this time

Bob Wilson uses a garden hose to protect a wood shed as his daughter’s home burns nearby on Oct. 7, 2020. (Photo courtesy Natasha Candelora)
Foster family loses Old Remo home to fire

B.C. ministry unhelpful in aftermath of fire, family says

Kyle Charles poses for a photo in Edmonton on Friday, Nov. 20, 2020. Marvel Entertainment, the biggest comic book publisher in the world, hired the 34-year-old First Nations illustrator as one of the artists involved in Marvel Voice: Indigenous Voices #1 in August. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
VIDEO: Indigenous illustrator of new Marvel comic hopes Aboriginal women feel inspired

Kyle Charles says Indigenous women around the world have reached out

This 2019 photo provided by The ALS Association shows Pat Quinn. Quinn, a co-founder of the viral ice bucket challenge, died Sunday, Nov. 22, 2020, at the age of 37. (Scott Kauffman/The ALS Association via AP)
Co-founder of viral ALS Ice Bucket Challenge dies at 37

Pat Quinn was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s disease, also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, in 2013

Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada David Lametti speaks with the media following party caucus in Ottawa, Tuesday, January 28, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Exclusion of mental health as grounds for assisted death is likely temporary: Lametti

Senators also suggested the exclusion renders the bill unconstitutional

Claudio Mastronardi, Toronto branch manager at Carmichael Engineering, is photographed at the company’s offices in Mississauga, Ont., Thursday, Nov. 19, 2020. As indoor air quality becomes a major concern in places of business, HVAC companies are struggling to keep up with demand for high quality filtration systems. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young
Business is booming for HVAC companies as commercial buildings see pandemic upgrades

‘The demand right now is very high. People are putting their health and safety ahead of cost’

Bank of Montreal, located on Burrard Street in downtown Vancouver. (Google Maps)
Heiltsuk man files human rights complaint against Vancouver police, BMO after bank arrest

Pair remains distraught after employee falsely reports fraud in progress leading to their arrest

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good
Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

RCMP Cpl. Cory Lepine pictured at BC Livestock Producers Co. in Kamloops, Nov. 16. (Phil McLachlan - Black Press Media)
Meet B.C.’s only cowboy cop; a voice for the livestock industry

Cpl. Cory Lepine serves as a bridge between the law and those who make a living off the land

BCHL
BCHL pushes back season start due to provincial health orders

The delay is minimal, just six days, for now. But the league is open to starting up after Christmas

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speak to the media about the COVID-19 virus outside Rideau Cottage in Ottawa, Friday, Nov. 20, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Long-awaited federal rent subsidy program for businesses hurt by COVID-19 opens today

The new program will cover up to 65 per cent of rent or commercial mortgage interest

Most Read