Skip to content

Oct. 2 fire damages duplex unit on Terrace’s Southside

Warning issued about how electrical devices are charged
34086517_web1_231012-TST-duplex.fire.terrace
A fire the morning of Oct. 2 damaged one unit of a duplex on Pear St. on the Southside. (Terrace Fire Department photo)

The Terrace Fire Department has issued a warning about how electrical devices are charged following a morning fire Oct. 2 in a duplex on the 2500 Block of Pear St. of the Southside.

One unit sustained heavy smoke damage while fire damage was confined to a single room. There were no reported injuries.

An investigation determined that the fire originated from a cellphone charging on a mattress.

“It’s imperative to only charge electrical devices on hard, flat surfaces where there is ample airflow. Utilizing manufacturer-approved cables and adapters further minimizes the risk,” said Terrace fire chief Chad Cooper.

Fire crews arrived at the scene to find heavy fire coming from a main floor walkout basement window of one unit. While one crew attacked that blaze, other crews searched for occupants and to determine if the fire had spread.

“All occupants had evacuated the building by the time of fire discovery,” said Cooper.

The second duplex unit sustained minimal smoke damage.





Pop-up banner image