Skeena B.C. Liberal MLA Ellis Ross says he’s going to keep up the political fight for a sign that the new Mills Memorial Hospital project is actually going to go ahead. (Quinn Bender photo)

New Mills Memorial project said to be on track

But Skeena MLA Ellis Ross not convinced

There’s no need to hit the panic button just yet because the Mills Memorial Hospital replacement project isn’t visible in this year’s provincial budget, said Terrace city councillor Sean Bujtas at a Terrace and District Chamber of Commerce luncheon March 8. 

The business plan to define the size and cost of the project needs approval by the Treasury Board, the committee of the provincial cabinet which sets out spending plans, but it isn’t finished, said Bujtas who is also one of the city’s representatives on the Kitimat-Stikine regional district and on the North West Regional Hospital Board.

His comments arose during an exchange with BC Liberal Skeena MLA Ellis Ross who, as the luncheon guest speaker, said he went through his copy of the budget the day it was presented only to find that “Mills Memorial is not in the budget.”

READ MORE: Mills Memorial Hospital financing formula released

While Ross acknowledged there have been announcements that a new Mills will be built, “that doesn’t matter. What matters is [if] it’s in the budget.”

Further, Ross continued, the project isn’t within the three-year projection of major capital projects.

And he said even if the project is approved by the provincial Treasury Board, it is the government through the cabinet that makes the final decision on projects.

Ross said there have been cases of projects being approved by the Treasury Board but which were then cancelled by provincial governments.

“So our job is to keep the pressure up. We’ve got to keep it in cabinet’s mind,” Ross added.

“So my job is to make sure government knows. I’m fully aware of the politics, I’m fully aware of the process. I just want to see that when I flip open the budget, that Mills Memorial is there as a line item.”

During a question and answer period, Bujtas said the Mills project is about three to four years within a 10-year time frame from planning to opening and that when local officials met with health minister Adrian Dix last fall, he told them the project was ahead of similar ones in the province.

And since the business plan isn’t finished, “how can it be in the budget if they don’t know exactly how much it’s going to cost,” Bujtas said.

“I’m just not sure I’m as worried as you are about it,” he continued while agreeing with Ross that pressure on the province needs to be kept up.

READ MORE: Mayor lobbies for wood use in new Mills construction

In response, Ross said he just wanted a signal of when the project is going to get into the budget.

Assurances are one thing but a line item in a budget is another, Ross added.

“Let’s not start celebrating, we got to see it in the budget,” he said.

Bujtas said there was no expectation that the business plan was going to be complete by the end of this year in that it was submitted last fall and could take 12 to 18 months for completion.

“We don’t need to hit the panic switch right now, that’s all I’m getting at. We’re not even close to being at that stage of the game,” he said.

“The hospital is moving along on target.”

Ross responded by telling Bujtas he didn’t want local officials to go to battle with the province over the hospital timing.

“Let me do that. That’s my job. I’m opposition. I got to criticize them.”

A statement from the North West Regional Hospital District issued March 7 said its board “is not concerned that the Mills Memorial Hospital replacement is not itemized at this time” and that the business plan is on schedule and being finalized.

A timeline prepared by the hospital district shows the first planning for a new Mills began in 2012, advancing steadily since then to the business plan stage. Its forecasting project tendering and groundbreaking next year with completion in 2023-2024.

First announced in spring 2017 by the then-B.C. Liberal government and announced again last February by the current NDP government, a new Mills will replace the current 60-year-old structure, increasing the bed count to more than 40 and bringing in advanced trauma treatment services.

For its part, through property taxes, the hospital district will pay 30 per cent of the cost and no more than $113.7 million through a deal it negotiated with the province.

So far the Northern Health Authority has stated it has spent $3.5 million on the Mills Memorial planning phase, a cost that’s being completely covered by the regional hospital district. The hospital district has forwarded $2 million of that amount to date.

The hospital district will then deduct the $3.5 million planning cost from its $113.7 million contribution.

Just Posted

As population ages, City of Terrace brings back healthy lifestyle program for seniors

The Choose to Move program will offer coaching and peer support

B.C. sockeye returns drop as official calls 2019 ‘extremely challenging’

Federal government says officials are seeing the same thing off Alaska and Washington state

Terrace’s Co-op lands a hard sell to developers

City takes down ‘for sale’ sign, turns attention to more urgent projects

B.C. family stranded in Croatia desperate to come home

Funds being raised to bring back mom and two children

Two Terrace homeless campsites levelled

Private property owners brought in crews to clear trees, brush

New police force in Surrey must avoid VPD, RCMP errors made in Pickton case: Oppal

Boots are scheduled to be on the ground by spring 2021

Conan turns to the Property Brothers for tips on buying Greenland

Jonathan Scott suggests removing glaciers and mountains to bring in ‘more natural light’

Forests minister visits B.C. town rocked by multiple mill shutdowns

A third of Mackenzie turns out for rally, not much to cheer about

B.C. music teacher accused of sexual misconduct involving girls

Police believe other victims could be out there after the arrest of Lamar Victor Alviar

B.C. man on trial for daughters’ murders says an intruder broke in

Andrew Berry takes stand in his defense for December 2017 deaths of young daughters

‘Plenty of time for a deal’: Teachers’ union expects kids back in school on Sept. 3

BCTF says class size, composition at the heart of the issue

Province funds new shuttle buses for 13 B.C. senior centres

Activity, socializing helps maintain health, Adrian Dix says

Thermal imaging cameras eye Salish Sea in hopes of better detecting whales

Cameras installed at BC Ferries’ terminal on Galiano Island, and off southern Gulf Islands

Most Read