A shed housing a legal grow-op will likely have to be torn down after it caught fire July 3.
Thornhill firefighters were called out to the blaze in lower Thornhill around 8 p.m., said Thornhill fire chief Wes Patterson. The 12×12-foot oak building was gutted but quick actions by neighbours prevented the shed from burning down completely, said Patterson.
“I’d have to say quick acting from neighbours helped contain the fire,” said Patterson, adding they used garden hoses and fire extinguishers until the fire department got there. “They contained it to the point we were able to eliminate any damage to structures around it,” he added, referring to two residences.
From talking to the owner, it sounded like an electrical overload caused the blaze, said Patterson.
Terrace RCMP, who assisted firefighters, said the fire originated from the wiring of a grow-op and confirmed that the man running the grow-op had a legal licence to grow and possess marijuana.