Housing effort stymies city, says Terrace mayor

The city can’t force a developer to build a housing complex that would rent a portion of its units at below-market rates, says Carol Leclerc

  • Jun. 22, 2015 6:00 p.m.

The city of Terrace can’t force a developer to build a housing complex that would rent a portion of its units at below-market rates, says mayor Carol Leclerc.

The most the city could do is talk with developer Coast to Coast about its planned 105-unit complex on the corner of Park and Kenney, Leclerc said in response to a question following a speech she made at a June 18 Terrace and District Chamber of Commerce luncheon.

RELATED: Terrace affordable housing project on hold

That corner of Park and Kenney, 2.4 acres, was sold by the city to Coast to Coast for $951,000 last year after the developer offered up the best plan for affordable housing for the property – renting 20 per cent of any units built at below market value to those who met a specific income level.

“We can have a conversation with them just to see where things are at with them. I think that [we need to understand] what’s happening in their world before we go and say we want stuff done,” said Leclerc.

Leclerc suggested that the overall housing market might be something that the city would have to speak to the developers about.

She was responding to a question asked by former mayor Dave Pernarowski under whose watch the land deal was made last year.

But two weeks ago Coast to Coast announced it was putting the entire project on hold until market conditions improved here.

And last summer, it hinted that it would build 24 units at first, meaning that at least four of them would be rented out at below market value.

If the city was happy with Coast to Coast’s affordable housing promise, it was also happy with the price it received for the property and set aside $500,000 to stimulate other affordable housing plans.

In responding to a follow up question from Pernarowski about the status of the money, Leclerc said it remains untouched.

Leclerc said council could consider a partnership with a developer or help affordable housing builders with rezoning or other development costs.

Just Posted

Terrace SAR aims high for new headquarters

A huge financial grant will enable Terrace Search and Rescue to move… Continue reading

New Terrace squash court opens at Summit Square Apartments

For the first time in years, squash players will be able to play on weekends in Terrace

UPDATE: Tsunami warning cancelled for coastal British Columbia

Warning issued following 7.9 earthquake off Kodiak, AK

Police encourage reporting of suspicious events following reports involving children

Terrace RCMP are asking the public to report any suspicious adult interactions… Continue reading

Soup kitchen sees “groundswell of community support”

Donations toward looming tax bill push non-profit back in the black

Tsunami warnings 101: Canada

Here are some things to know about tsunami alerts in Canada and how they work

Castlegar homicide victim identified

The victim was 38-year-old Jordan Workman of Castlegar, B.C.

B.C. Liberal leadership candidates get one last prime-time pitch

Leadership campaign to be decided in Feb. 3 vote

Andrew Scheer on trade, Trump and Trudeau

Canada’s Conservative leader begins three-day visit to B.C.

Victims restrained, sex toys and cash stolen from B.C. adult store

Armed suspects sought in adult store robbery

Vancouver Islanders ponder need for tsunami siren song

Alarm sounds in Port Alberni but not at the DND base in Esquimalt

Babcock, Goyette and Smyth honoured at Order of Hockey in Canada

Mike Babcock, from Saskatoon, guided the Detroit Red Wings to a Stanley Cup in 2008

Bell Canada alert prompts RCMP, privacy watchdog to probe data breach

Company spokesman: ‘Fewer than 100,000 customers were affected’

‘The tsunami alarm failed my household’: North Coast residents concerned over sirens, alerts

People living in northern communities share how they learned about Tuesday’s tsunami warning

Most Read