Forest fire season winding down in B.C.

Campfires are allowed in most areas as the Labour Day weekend approaches, most evacuation alerts lifted

Paulson Pass fire northeast of Christina Lake. Evacuation alerts were lifted Monday for Grand Forks and Christina Lake

Campfire bans have been lifted for most of B.C. heading into the Labour Day weekend, and rain in most areas of the province has helped crews make progress on most of the 176 fires burning in B.C. as of Monday.

Campfire bans are lifted in the Kamloops and Southeast fire centres, although restrictions continue on use of burn barrels and fireworks. No fire bans remain across northern B.C., and the only remaining campfire ban is in the Cariboo fire centre for areas west of the Fraser River.

Kevin Skrepnek, chief information officer for the B.C. Wildfire Service, cautioned that areas of high and extreme fire danger remain in the Chilcotin, South Thompson River valley and the southern part of the Prince George fire centre. But continued cool weather and showers this week offer some relief for communities and firefighters.

“Just about all our major fires took at least a little bit of rain over the weekend, and this has certainly made some significant progress,” Skrepnek said.

Some of the most threatening fires have eased. Evacuation orders for the Testalinden Creek fire near Oliver were downgraded to alerts Monday, and alerts were lifted for Grand Forks and Christina Lake as B.C. and U.S. crews made progress on the Stickpin fire burning near the border in Washington.

The Regional District of Kootenay Boundary lifted evacuation alerts Monday for the Rock Creek fire, which previously damaged or destroyed 30 homes.

The B.C. Wildfire Service responded to seven new fires over the weekend, some suspected to be human caused.

Total cost and damage for the 2015 forest fire season continues to track at a similar pace as last year, with 296,000 hectares burned and $255 million spent as of Monday. That’s above the 10-year average for B.C. fires, but lower than the worst seasons in recent years, in 2003 and 2009.

 

Just Posted

NARA holds open adoption event

Six cats and two dogs were rehomed

‘Avalanche Awareness Days’ emphasize backcountry safety at Shames

The Skeena Bar and Shames Mountain Co-op both holding events this weekend

Wilson returns to Pacific Crest Trail undeterred

Terrace hiker was forced to abandon journey last year due to back injury at 566-mile marker

More exported goods needed for Terrace transloading facility “financially viable,” according to report

Build-out of SIDP lands, potential for micro-LNG facilities could warrant future development

Province provides three rural grants to Terrace

Each project will receive $10,000 to boost their operations

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read