Terrace Mayor Carol Leclerc gives Inspector Sydney Lecky a farewell gift from councillors and city staff on June 25 as he heads for Kamloops to take on his new role as head of the detachment there. (Brittany Gervais photo)

Council weighs in on pedestrian overpass study

Council briefs from June 25

Terrace City Council briefs from the meeting on June 25, 2018. Some of the key discussions are summarized below:

Farewell to Inspector Sydney Lecky

Council and city staff said their goodbyes to Inspector Sydney Lecky, who served in his position for just over two years, working in the detachment for a total of seven years. Each councillor and city staff present on June 25 went around the table to express their gratitude. “It is a bit emotional,” Lecky said with a pause. “I’m confident that things will continue, it takes a lot more than one or two people to make that change.” Lecky now heads to start his new position as the Officer in Charge for the Kamloops detachment. Word on who will be replacing Lecky is still being decided.

Youth Travel Assistance Fund

Olivia Woods, 13, approached council on June 25 to ask for help funding her trip to compete in the 2018 International Taekwon-Do Federation World Championships in Australia. Woods and her family had already raised $6,000 on their own, but needed help filling the $3,022 gap remaining. Council agreed to give Woods $1,000 to go on the trip, and asked to follow up with her once she returned. During this competition, Woods would be the only Canadian competitor present. This is the first time in 13 years that someone had approached council to use the Youth Travel Assistance fund, created back in 2005.

Pedestrian overpass

A feasibility study on the overpass across the CN Rail tracks was heard from FAAS Architecture and Parsons Inc., consultants hired by the city. The company presented three separate designs, with the preferred option for the overpass starting west of Kalum St. with ramps landing on the old Co-op property to the north, and in the existing CN storage yard to the south. The project would cost $11.6 million to build over two years, which Mayor Carol Leclerc said the city doesn’t have right now. The trouble also lies with CN Rail, who said while they are in support of an overpass to increase safety, they do not currently accept any options near Kalum St. to have city infrastructure placed on their property. However, the City of Terrace said they will continue to try and work with CN Rail to figure out a compromise and possibly reduce the cost of the project.

Supportive Housing project

Council issued a development permit to the Provincial Rental Housing Corporation for the construction of a 52-unit apartment in Terrace under the Rapid Response to Homelessness program at 4523 Olson Avenue. The project will provide low-barrier housing for short or long-term rent for those who face chronic homelessness, providing supportive staff 24/7 through an operating agreement between BC Housing and the Ksan Society. Construction for the project is expected to begin in July, with occupancy scheduled for this December.

Downtown security funding

Coun. James Cordeiro put forward a notice of motion that council investigate the feasibility of establishing a Downtown Safety/Security Funding Program in 2019 whereby businesses in the downtown could apply for 50/50 funding to ‘enhance the public safety and/or security on the exterior of their business.’ The money would come out of council’s unbudgeted account for 2019. It was carried.

Concerns over SO2 emissions

Dr. David Bowering, former chief medical health officer for Northern Health, travelled into Terrace to present to council about his concerns regarding the amount of S02 emissions from the Rio Tinto smelter in Kitimat, and their decision not to install scrubbers to decrease the amount of sulphur dioxide released into the air. “It’s been frustrating to watch from a public health point of view,” Bowering said.


 


brittany@terracestandard.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

 

13-year old Olivia Woods will receive $1,000 from council out of the city’s Youth Travel Assistance Fund to help with her trip to compete in the 2018 International Taekwon-Do World Cup in Sydney, Australia. With just $2,022 remaining, members of the public who want to help see Woods compete can join the family at the Terrace Evangelical free church from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday, September 1 for a fundraiser. (Brittany Gervais photo)

Just Posted

Terrace council gets to work with three appointments

Representatives were chosen during their first meeting Nov. 13

Tahltan First Nation to finally return home after wildfire

Roughly $12 million has been spent making the community livable again after the 1,180-square-kilometre blaze destroyed 21 homes

Donation bin closed after vandalism, theft

Four people arrested in September

Shames Mountain keeps bunny hill free

Co-op wants to make the sport more accessible for beginners

Terrace welcomes new RCMP commander from Prince George

Inspector Jayson Lucash started his position as the top cop of the detachment Nov. 1

VIDEO: People with diabetes meet their alert dogs

A diabetic alert dog is trained to detect low blood sugar in people who have Type 1 diabetes

Dead Saskatoon tattoo artist’s skin removed and preserved

The skin was removed in honour of the well known artist’s work

Province not doing enough for forestry sector, say Liberals

Although Minister of Forests says government working to diversify industry, rural economies

B.C. Realtor suspended after helping intern forge note about sick grandma

Vancouver real estate agent Jaideep Singh Puri has to pay fine, take ethics course

Offensive Facebook post by Okanagan Conservative riding sparks outrage

Post taken down after Conservative MP in neighbouring riding condemns it and demands removal

Judge rules against ALC on rural B.C. subdivision

The ALC can’t change the definition of an acre, the judge ruled.

John Horgan shrugs off low turnout, change to referendum option

‘No’ proportional representation group says voting should be extended

Two more government pot shops to open in Kamloops

Two private applications are also in the queue to come before city council by the end of the year

2 B.C. men charged after allegedly stealing $1,400 worth of butter

The two men, ages 23 and 25, are facing charges of theft under $5,000, Coquitlam police said

Most Read