THERE WERE no injuries but a Terrace taxi was very badly damaged when a fire broke out in its engine compartment at approximately 7 am this morning.
Terrace firefighters quickly responded with one unit to the location of the taxi which was parked at the offices of Kalum Kabs on the 4400 Block of Lakelse Ave.
“We got called at shortly after 7 and when we arrived, the engine compartment was fully engulfed,” said Dave Jephson, the Terrace Fire Department’s on-scene commander.
“Our Number One concern was that the fire would spread to the building,” he added.
That concern was heightened because the vehicle was parked very close to the building which is an old wooden structure.
Jephson said the first sign of trouble came when the taxi’s driver reported that he smelled smoke.
“He had just come on shift and got a coffee and was on his way back to the office when he smelled smoke,” said Jephson.
By the time he parked, the fire had broken out, Jephson added.