Drivers wait for an open sailing at BC Ferries’ Tsawwassen terminal last week, with a smoke haze visible from Interior wildfires. Sailing waits have been frequent despite hourly sailings to Vancouver island. (Tom Fletcher/Black Press)

Tourist cancellations far beyond B.C. wildfire zone

Vancouver Island traffic up, misinformation a problem

A booming tourist season that has caused a surge of ferry traffic to Vancouver Island is partly driven by people avoiding B.C. Interior destinations, even those unaffected by wildfires.

Tourism operators are reporting cancellations in the Kootenay-Rockies, Thompson Okanagan and other areas where fires and smoke are not an obstacle to travel, Maya Lange, vice-president of marketing for Destination B.C., said Thursday. Traffic to Vancouver Island traffic is particularly up, as national media report fire and smoke issues extending to the Lower Mainland.

The provincial tourism agency is increasing its annual Explore B.C. marketing program with print, TV, billboards and social media to make sure people have accurate information on what areas are affected. Visitors are asked to check HelloBC.com/wildfire for up-to-date information on roads and air quality.

“We are encouraging businesses in non-impacted areas to contact their customers who have reservations to share updates, to correct any misinformation they may have and to ensure that they know where to access information and prevent cancellations,” Lange said. “From a recovery perspective, we will ensure that impacted areas have additional marketing support once it is safe to visit again and capacity has been established.”

Emergency Management B.C. officials say there were 600 applications in the first 24 hours after the province announced a $1,500 emergency grant program for affected businesses, non-profits and aboriginal communities whose traditional cultural activities are affected. Information on the program is available from the Red Cross (www.redcross.ca), which is administering the grants. (Online application forms can be found here.)

Eligible organizations are those with 50 employers or fewer, have a income of less than $250,000 per year, have been in operation on or before July 7, 2017 and have resumed operations or are intending to restart as soon as possible.

While winds and lightning are a concern in the days ahead for the Cariboo-Chilcotin region and northern B.C., progress has been made on large fires and the situation for residents has improved. As of Thursday there were 27 evacuation orders in effect with 4,400 people forced from their homes, and another 21,000 on evacuation alert. Both totals have declined this week as some orders and alerts have been downgraded.

B.C. Wildfire Service spokesman Kevin Skrepnek said while new fires continue to be reported, most have been contained quickly. The majority of the battle is still taking place to contain fires that were sparked by dry lightning on July 7, when the provincial state of emergency began.

Just Posted

TDCSS to end on-campus daycare service

NWCC committed to finding licenced provider to fill space

Terrace teen honoured at Commonwealth writing competition

Ariadna Sullivan among 12,000 entrants vying for top awards

VIDEO: Researchers rely on drones to survey aftermath of B.C. wildfires

UBC researchers are using aerial drones to study the historic 2017 wildfires in the province

Rent continues to rise in Prince Rupert, drops in Terrace

A report from Canadian Mortage and Housing Corporation shows the average rent has risen by $132

Cops targeting risky behaviour, auto crime

Holiday campagaigns aim to keep roads safe, valuables protected

Pool upgrade on budget, slightly behind

Completion is set for March 30, and opening will likely be late-April, early-May

Owl found dead after eating rat poison leaves B.C. woman concerned

After finding the owl on her Surrey property, Christine Trozzo says the poison is a concern for kids

Change to CPP death benefit panned as insufficient to cover funeral costs

Funeral Services Association of Canada lobbied governments to raise the value to $3,580

#MeToo at work: Employers play a role in fixing culture of sexual harassment

B.C. workplaces are getting ahead of being the next MeToo debacle, calling on experts to train staff

B.C. woman brain injured in crash as a baby gets $1.1 million in damages

Trial heard the woman was 16 months old, being carried by her mother when they were both hit

Court denies WestJet’s bid to toss out discrimination lawsuit of former worker

Mandalena Lewis is suing WestJet over allegations of gender-based discrimination

VIDEO: 3 months later, rescued sea lion released back into ocean

The young animal was found in Campbell River three months ago

Sagmoen neighbours recall alleged hammer attack

Woman was screaming outside Maple Ridge townhouse in 2013

Accused B.C. drug smuggler to be extradited

Supreme Court of Canada upholds extradition order for accused Shuswap drug smuggler, Colin Martin

Most Read