Usk homeowner fends off blaze

Resident of the tiny community near Terrace did the right thing while waiting for the Thornhill Volunteer Fire Department to arrive

  • Tue Mar 3rd, 2015 12:00pm
  • News

An Usk homeowner did the right thing last month in calling 911 first before trying to fight a fire caused when a wood stove ignited a chair and paper.

Thornhill Volunteer Fire Department firefighters quickly responded to the call and extinguished the blaze. The resident, while waiting for firefighters to arrived, kept the fire at bay.

“Don’t fight the fire, then decide it’s too big, and then call us,” said Thornhill Volunteer Fire Department chief Wes Patterson.

And if it’s too big to handle by yourself, then get out of the building and wait for firefighters, as hard as that is to do, he added. There was almost no structural damage because the homeowner contained the fire.

The homeowner was taken to hospital as a precaution for smoke inhalation, said Patterson. An ambulance is always called to accompany fire engines to a blaze in case firefighters or others require medical attention, said Patterson.