One of the 13 Terrace city council candidates has dropped out of the election.
Noelle Bulleid, who was seeking elected office for the first time, received permission from community, sport and cultural development minister Coralee Oakes just this week.
Under provincial legislation, a candidate in this election had until October 17 to withdraw on their own.
After that, permission of the minister is needed and the candidate has to make a signed request.
“The purpose of provincial involvement at this stage is to strike the right balance between recognizing that unplanned circumstances arise for candidates, while still ensuring that running for office is treated seriously and that administrative difficulties are avoided (e.g. candidate withdrawal once ballots are printed),” a statement from the ministry indicated.
Speaking yesterday, Bulleid said she had been looking for a house all summer and that an offer she made on one was accepted after she was nominated as a candidate.
“I’m now preparing where I live now to a point where I can sell it,” Bulleid said, adding that the twin tasks of selling one house and moving into another meant she would not be able to devote the time needed to a city council seat had she been elected.
At the same time, Bulleid said she wanted to focus on finishing her Bachelor of Social Work degree.
Bulleid’s departure from the council race leaves 12 people running for the six council seats.
Oakes is also considering a withdrawal request by a candidate running for council in Stewart.