Skeena Sawmill’s Andrew Nichols

Sawmill open for business

A full crew of Terrace workers showed up for shift Monday as Skeena Sawmills swung into full operation

A full crew of Terrace workers showed up for shift Monday as Skeena Sawmills swung into full operation.

The sawmill, which prior to this summer hadn’t cut a log since 2007, now employs 50 local workers and is expected to hire more according to mill officials.

After a lumber-making test period this summer, the sawmill has secured enough buyers for its lumber to operate from 7 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.

“That means employment for the people in Terrace first and foremost,” said Gian Sandhu, spokesman for Roc Holdings Ltd., the company which owns the mill. “And it means that there’s going to be some wood produced and we’re going to look forward to better economic conditions for everyone in the town.”

The mill will be making specialty sized lumber-products and has secured customers in China, Alberta and the eastern Canadian market, explained Sandhu.

“Our intent is to push the button on Monday morning and then keep going,” he said last week.

While keeping going in lumber and logging is never a sure bet as it’s a commodity, economic conditions for sales look good right now said Sandhu adding one hitch the company currently faces is finding the log supply to make more lumber.

The company has three cutting licences in the area — TFL 41, which is a tree farm, and two forest licences, one of which is in the Nass.

The three amount to an allowable cut of 317,000 cubic metres per year.

Whether or not a second shift will start up is dependent on log supply, said Sandhu.

“We’re working on different relationships with stakeholders who own logs in the area. If we’re able to tie log supply for the second shift we’ll put that on,” he said.

Ideally, the mill plans to source up to  500,000 cubic metres yearly from other log harvesters for the mill should customers, lumber prices, full-capacity production and log availability create the perfect economic storm.

For now, mill owner Teddy Cui says he’s glad to see it running full time as this stage is years in the making.

“Two years ago we first negotiated with West Fraser,” said Cui, who flew to Terrace last weekend to celebrate the mill’s opening.

Skeena Sawmills was purchased by the B.C. company Roc Holdings Ltd. in July 2011 and has spent about $6 million in B.C. to date including upgrades and operations. Officials said the sawmill is committed to spending up to $15 million to get fully started.

The Terrace sawmill has a single shift capacity of 90 million board feet per year.

Before it was purchased and opened by Roc Holdings Ltd., it sat empty since its closure in mid 2007 when West Fraser shut the mill doors during a labour dispute.

It formerly employed roughly 80 workers, but never did get back up and running with poor American markets as the reason cited by West Fraser at the time.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

COLUMN | Creating a “community of practice” inspires

Art Matters by columnist Sarah Zimmerman

Hockey puck with nails found at Terrace Sportsplex Arena

City believes it has already caused $4,000 of damage

Kitselas First Nation receives $1.2M boost for apprenticeship development program

Melanie Mark, Minister of Advanced Education announces $7.5M for six Indigenous training programs

Terrace Skating Club takes home 24 medals from regional championships

Skaters claim top spot for fifth year in a row

VIDEO: Music stars pay tribute to Kobe Bryant at Grammys award show

Music artists including Billy Ray Cyrus, Rick Ross and Kirk Franklin paid tribute to Bryant

Woman guilty of dangerous driving crash that left Saanich girl, then 11, unresponsive

Nikirk guilty of one count of dangerous driving causing bodily harm

Pregnant B.C. woman stuck in Wuhan, the epicentre of coronavirus outbreak

Woman is due to give birth in Wuhan, China unless she can get out

Victoria-area wolf tranquilized after being seen running around neighbourhood

Officials say wolf unharmed during its ‘arrest’

Ontario confirms second presumptive coronavirus case in wife of first patient

Both arrived on a China Southern Airlines flight after having been to Wuhan

Canada’s basketball community mourns Kobe Bryant after helicopter crash

Bryant was an 18-time NBA all-star who won five championships

‘Devastated’: Fans, celebrities remember Kobe Bryant after his death

Bryant played all of his 20-year career with the NBA with the Los Angeles Lakers

Investigation launched after six dead puppies dumped in Richmond hotel parking lot

RAPS reminds people they can always give up puppies they can’t take care of

Canadian Lunar New Year celebrations dampened by coronavirus worries

But Health Minister Patty Hajdu said today that the risk of infection is low

Most Read