Ty Pozzobon Foundation continues to raise money for Canadian Rodeo sports medicine teams

The Ty Pozzobon Foundation aims to ‘protect and support’ rodeo competitors in and out of the arena

A foundation honouring the legacy of B.C. bull rider Ty Pozzobon is bringing concussion awareness to the forefront, one year after the star took his own life and shook his community of fans and family.

A post-mortem examination of Pozzobon’s brain revealed the 25-year-old from Merritt suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, also known as CTE – a controversial disease often caused by repetitive brain injuries, such as repeated concussions often discussed in contact sports like football and wrestling.

Pozzobon is the only confirmed case of CTE in a professional bull rider in North America, and since his death has turned a spotlight on one of the darker components of what’s often called the most dangerous sport.

READ MORE: Mother of B.C. bull rider who died warns of implications of concussions

READ MORE: Ty Pozzobon remembered as professional rodeo’s ‘brightest star’

The Ty Pozzobon Foundation, led by Saskatchewan bull rider Tanner Byrne, raises funds to ensure Canadian Pro Rodeo Sports Medicine teams are at all ProRodeo and PBR events across the country, as well as creating a concussion spotting team to be on site at competitions.

“We knew we wanted to all do something for Ty in his name to make a positive change in our sport,” Byrne said in a news release when the foundation was launched in February of last year. “Through Ty’s Foundation we can ensure his name, destiny and legacy live on in and out of the arena.”

Byrne, Pozzobon’s best friend and spokesperson for the foundation, said the work of the foundation will include educating youth and athletes about the impacts of concussions, including anxiety and depression.

“Ty loved people, this is our way of still doing that for him,” he said.


@ashwadhwani
ashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Former Terrace mayor Dave Maroney passes away

Maroney had been instrumental in the growth of the city services in late 1970s

Terrace RCMP seek witnesses to fatal hit and run

Police are asking for the public’s help in solving a fatal hit… Continue reading

Terrace’s new aquatic centre to open next week

The Terrace and District Aquatic Centre will offer free admission from Nov. 22 to Dec. 2

Northern First Nations partnership reshaping government’s approach to reconciliation

Kaska, Tahltan and Tlingit First Nations share Premier’s Award for Innovation with ministry

Kitimat arena closed until further notice due to chilling system malfunction

Saturday night’s Terrace River Kings and Kitimat Ice Demons game was cancelled as a result

Six students arrested, charged in sex assault probe at Toronto all-boys school

The school’s principal, Greg Reeves, described the video of the alleged sexual assault as ‘horrific’

Air force getting more planes but has no one to fly them, auditor warns

The report follows several years of criticism over the Trudeau government’s decision not to launch an immediate competition to replace the CF-18s.

B.C.’s Esi Edugyan wins $100K Giller prize for Washington Black

Edugyan won her first Scotiabank Giller Prize in 2011 for Half-Blood Blues

Bolder action needed to reduce child poverty: Campaign 2000 report card

The report calls for the federal government to provide more funding to the provinces, territories and Indigenous communities to expand affordable, quality child care.

Judge bars US from enforcing Trump asylum ban

Protesters accused the migrants of being messy, ungrateful and a danger to Tijuana; complained about how the caravan forced its way into Mexico, calling it an “invasion.”

Ottawa Redblacks defensive back Jonathan Rose suspended for Grey Cup

Rose was flagged for unnecessary roughness and ejected for contacting an official with 37 seconds left in the first half following a sideline melee after a Tiger-Cats reception.

Mistrial declared in Dennis Oland’s retrial in father’s murder

The verdict from Oland’s 2015 murder trial was set aside on appeal in 2016 and a new trial ordered. Richard Oland, 69, was found dead in his Saint John office on July 7, 2011.

Laine scores 3 as Jets double Canucks 6-3

Injury-riddled Vancouver side drops sixth in a row

Deportation averted for Putin critic who feared return to Russia

Elena Musikhina, a vocal critic of the Kremlin, has been granted a two-year visitor’s permit in Canada

Most Read