Multiple offences sends man to jail

A MAN who's been in jail since his arrest last fall after the highway was shut down for nearly a day while police tried to apprehend him will spend more time in jail.

A MAN who’s been in jail since his arrest last fall after the highway was shut down for nearly a day while police tried to apprehend him will spend more time in jail. Kurtis Archie Albert, 30, changed his plea from not guilty to guilty on seven of his charges: uttering threats to cause bodily harm, two breaches of undertaking, flight from peace officer, possessing a weapon for a dangerous purpose and mischief $5,000 or under and, from an earlier charge, arson. He had already pleaded guilty to break and enter and commit indictable offence and possession of stolen property over $5,000 from an earlier charge. Judge Calvin Struyk sentenced him to seven months in jail minus 109 days for time served as he’d been in jail since Nov. 1, 2010. “A lot of stuff [was] invented by other people..,” said Albert, when asked if he had anything to say on his own behalf. “I hurt nobody and I look forward to being released, your honour.” On Oct. 31, 2010, police went looking for Albert after someone reported Albert had threatened his life. Officers spotted Albert in his vehicle and followed him. An attempt to pull Albert over failed and he continued to his father Kevin Albert’s property east of town. Police backed off, believing that several firearms were in the Albert residence. Officers heard shots being fired and, believing them to come from the Albert residence, made a decision to close the highway and re-route traffic around the Cranberry Connector detour route around 5 p.m. Oct. 31 until the afternoon of Nov. 1. It was later determined that the shots came from hunters in the area. The RCMP Emergency Response Team and the police dog were called out and Albert was subsequently arrested. Search warrants for the residence and pickup of Kevin Albert, Kurtis’s father, revealed police were looking for a .17 calibre bolt action rifle with a blue barrel, a 7mm rifle, a 12 gauge shotgun, two clubs and a purple mountain bike Nov. 2, 2010. A 1998 grey Ford F150 pickup was brought to the RCMP detachment to be searched, the warrant said. In the truck, police found two boxes of 22 calibre rifle ammunition in the driver’s side door pocket, nine 22 calibre rifle rounds scattered on the back seat, three 306 rifle rounds in the glove box, two 12 gauge shotgun rounds, one 306 rifle round in the centre console and an eight to 10 inch bone handle knife with a five-inch blade between the driver’s seat and the centre console, the search warrant read. On March 29, 2009, the Citywest compound was broken into and the culprits stole thousands of dollars worth of tools, cable supplies and a van with the Citywest logo on it, said prosecutor Barry Zacharias in reviewing evidence. On April 3, 2010, waste management reported that some of the cable company’s items were in the dumpster at ET Kenney Elementary School, court heard. Police learned from Albert’s father and stepmother than he had stolen the van and taken it to Oliver Creek, court heard. When police found it, it had been burned badly and parts had been taken off it, court heard. In the past, Albert has not done any substantial amount of jail time and this would be by far the longest amount of time for him in jail, Zacharias said when suggesting the seven month sentence to Struyk. Struyk ordered Albert to 12 months on probation with conditions, which include a six month driving prohibition, a four year firearms prohibition and to provide a DNA sample to police. He was also ordered not to go to Citywest and to stay at least 100 metres away from the company and to abstain from alcohol and drugs. Charges of theft over $5,000, mischief $5,000 or under, possessing weapon for dangerous purpose, theft $5,000 or under and breach of undertaking were stayed by the prosecutor.