Gov’t to distribute strike savings

Money saved from a three-day teachers’ strike last month will spent on improving special needs services, the province has announced.

Money saved from a three-day teachers’ strike last month will spent on improving special needs services, the province has announced.

In all, $37 million was saved – $375,000 in the Coast Mountains school district alone.

Education minister George Abbott said $30 million will be going to the province’s Learning Improvement Fund and $7 million will be available directly to school district’s for specific priorities.

That’s not exactly what the Coast Mountains school board said it wanted to do with the money it didn’t pay teachers during the strike.

At the March 14 school board meeting, school board trustees decided to send a letter to the province requesting to keep all of the money.

Board chair Art Erasmus had said at the time that additional costs incurred from the strike could be offset by the savings.

He explained these costs were primarily the mileage of district staff, as they drove to schools  upwards of three times each day to perform supervision duties that teachers were refusing to do as a part of their job action.

Still, Erasmus said last week he was still pleased  because the money is going to go toward students through the improvement fund.

“We’re not getting it back for our district, but we get it back to spend on special needs students, and that’s good,” he said.

He is still waiting for details on exactly how school districts will spend the remaining $7 million.

Karen Andrews from the Terrace and District Teachers’ Union was disappointed in the news, saying the school district will have to fight to get the money from a provincial pot now.

“That money is going to have to be divided among all of the school districts,” she explained. “We (teachers) feel that the Learning Improvement Fund is going to pit classes and schools and school district’s against each other. They’re all going to have to fight for this tiny amount of money.”

An additional seven million dollars saved during the strike will be distributed to school boards across the province, but Erasmus said is it unknown how much this district will receive, and what kind of stipulations the money will come with.

Just Posted

Ministry defends proposed hunting restrictions

Options intended to balance population and allocation to move forward with input by April or May

Terrace RCMP Inspector Syd Lecky transferring to Kamloops

Departure likely months away, replacement process yet to begin

Province to boost ER services at Mills Memorial

Money to add salaried doctor positions

Province opens public input on policing standards

The move flows from recommendations of the Missing Women Commission of Inquiry

Terrace hockey player breaks all-time points record in Major Midget League

Prospects are bright for Mason Richey, suiting up this fall with the West Kelowna Warriors

Ottawa proposes restricted pot labels, packages

Packaging will include red stop sign with marijuana leaf and ‘THC’

How to keep local news visible in your Facebook feed

Facebook has changed the news feed to emphasize personal connections. You might see less news.

B.C. Scientists witness first-ever documented killer whale infanticide

“It’s horrifying and fascinating at the same time.”

Okanagan Falls winery showing international photo project

Liquidity Wines will be sole Canadian show of National Geographic’s Photo Ark

Lawyer for one suspect in beating of man with autism says he’s not guilty

Ronjot Singh Dhami will turn himself in, lawyer said

Liberals awarded $100,000 contract to man at centre of Facebook data controversy

Christopher Wylie says his voter-profiling company collected private information from 50 million Facebook users

Facebook’s Zuckerberg admits mistakes in privacy scandal

Zuckerberg admits to privacy scandal involving a Trump-connected data-mining firm, but no apology

UPDATE: Former B.C. city councillor sentenced nine months for sexual assault

Dave Murray, convicted this past fall, hired a private investigator to intrude on the victim’s life.

Online threat to U.S. high school traced to Canadian teen

A 14-year-old girl has been charged in connection with an online threat against a high school

Most Read