White Rock couple Ian and Valerie Wilson were victims in last Thursday’s terror attack in Barcelona. A fundraiser to help the family recover – Ian was killed; Valerie was injured – has raised more than $12,000 so far. (Contributed photo)

Fundraiser for Barcelona terror-attack B.C. victims’ family raises $12,000 so far

Canadian Ian Moore Wilson was killed in the Aug. 17 attack, which also injured his wife

A fundraiser to support the wife and family of a White Rock man who was killed in last week’s terror attack in Barcelona has raised more than $12,000.

The GoFundMe page launched Sunday, three days after a van plowed through a crowd of pedestrians in the city’s popular Las Ramblas thoroughfare, killing 13 and wounding more than 100 others.

Ian Moore Wilson and his wife of 53 years, Valerie, were in the crowd. Ian died in the attack; Valerie was “severely injured,” according to details on the fundraising page.

The couple had visited the country to watch their grandson play soccer, the page notes.

“An act of terror took Ian from his loving family and left Valerie severely injured,” writes page organizer Lisa Byrne. “Instead of focusing on the unspeakable hatred that precipitated this, Valerie’s family has chosen to focus on the incredible acts of human kindness they experienced in this trying time.”

Funds raised are “to allow her and her family to recover in peace.”

The Wilsons’ daughter, Fiona Wilson – a staff sergeant with Vancouver Police Department – issued a statement Friday, describing her dad as “compassionate, generous, adventurous.”

She said the kindness bestowed on her family immediately following the attack and in the days since “are the things we will choose to focus on when we endeavour to come to terms with the senseless violence and acts of hatred that have taken loved ones before their time.”

One donor to the GoFundMe campaign echoed similar sentiments.

“My heart breaks for you and your family,” writes Diane Murray. “We cannot let these people win! xxx”

Facebook commenter Nancy Solomon Garard describes the Barcelona attacks – a second incident occurred eight hours after the first, killing one person – as “cowardly acts of terrorism.”

Just Posted

Terrace users on Facebook post warnings about vehicle break-ins

RCMP say it’s important to always lock your doors

Oil tanker ban to be reviewed by committee

Indigenous groups for and against Bill C-48 travel to Ottawa to influence the Senate’s decision

Supportive housing project delayed until end of winter

Rainy conditions have stalled groundwork for the 52-unit development on Olson Avenue

Tyler Dozzi breaks national record, ‘running like a madman’

Terrace runner sets new time in Boston in his last U20 race

B.C’s salmon advisory council skips Terrace

Public engagement tour excludes all non-coastal communities

Omar Khadr wants changes to bail conditions

‘My life is held in suspension’, says the former Guantanamo Bay detainee

Lions announce seven members of coaching staff not coming back for 2019

The operational moves come two days after the Lions announced DeVone Claybrooks as the team’s new head coach

$12K awarded to atheist family who oppose Christmas, Hanukkah in B.C. classroom

Gary Mangel,May Yasue said holidays, Remembrance Day and Valentine’s Day not appropriate in preschool

Coach accused of sexual assault says apology letter was misinterpreted

Dave Brubaker has pleaded not guilty to one count of sexual assault and one count of invitation to sexual touching

Give the gift of nature this holiday season

Please don’t be mad, but I bought you a moose

Aboriginal poet faces backlash for calling out NHL-themed totem poles

Rebecca Thomas says she received backlash for asking a drugstore chain to remove NHL merchandise

No plans yet for free WiFi on BC Transit buses

BC Transit says they are monitoring the roll-out of free WiFi on Translink vehicles

Some Kotex tampons recalled in Canada and U.S.

In some cases, tampon users sought medical attention “to remove tampon pieces left in the body.”

Sex-assault squad investigated eight incidents at Toronto all-boys’ school

The interim president of a Roman Catholic all-boys school rocked by student-on-student abuse allegations said the football program was cancelled for next year.

Most Read