THE four people vying to become the NDP’s candidate in the Skeena riding for next May’s provincial election have all been approved by the party’s provincial office. From the left

Four officially in race for Skeena NDP nomination

Party members meet Jan. 14 to select candidate for May 2017 provincial election

  • Dec. 21, 2016 2:00 p.m.

ALL FOUR people who want to be the New Democratic Party candidate for the Skeena riding in next May’s provincial election have now been approved by the party’s provincial office.

Sarah Zimmerman and Michael Prevost were the first two of the four to be approved and were followed by Nicole Halbauer and Bruce Bidgood, just ahead of a deadline of Dec. 16.

Prospective candidates not only have to pay $2,000 but they also have to fill out an extensive questionnaire requiring personal and professional backgrounds and information which is then checked by party officials.

Also involved is the examination of the posts each may have made on various social media sites.

Even in advance of being approved, the four had been speaking and taking questions at sessions held for party members in Terrace and Kitimat.

They’ve also been to the Nass Valley and a meeting at Kitsumkalum is also being planned.

The nomination meeting date itself is Jan. 14.

The New Democratic Skeena riding candidacy opened up earlier this year when Robin Austin, who has represented the riding in the provincial legislature since 2005, decided not to run again.

When local New Democrats do gather Jan. 14 to select their candidate for next May’s provincial election, there won’t be the kind of intrigue and drama that has characterized nomination balloting in the past.

Instead of going through a series of ballots in which results are announced each time resulting in the last place finisher being dropped and voting taking place again until one candidate attains a majority, members will only fill out one ballot.

On that ballot, however, will be the names of the four candidates and members will be asked to rank their choices by preference.

Scrutineers will begin by counting the first choices on each ballot, says Pam Sihota, the president of the Skeena NDP constituency association.

“If no candidate attains 50 per cent on the first count, then the candidate with fewest first choices is dropped off and his/her ballots are distributed amongst the remaining candidates according to his/her second choices,” she said.

That continues until one candidate does reach that 50 per cent mark. In this fashion, only one results announcement will be made and that will be of the winning candidate.

 

 

 

 

 

Just Posted

Terrace students hold city accountable for safer bike lanes

Skeena Middle School students biked to city hall to present their report

Terrace-area gold project shows strong promise

Juggernaut Exploration hopes this year’s drilling will follow last year’s exceptional program

Kitselas votes Judy Gerow as new chief councillor

Chief and council members elected June 12

Community gathers at two Terrace schools to protest SD82

Participants carried signs reading ‘We demand transparency’

Two Terrace artists receive YVR Art Foundation scholarship

Both recipients will have their artwork showcased at Vancouver Airport

VIDEO: First Nations, developer call for return and protection of sacred B.C. burial site

Dozens of First Nations leaders gather on grassy plateau to call on action by provincial government

Teen stabbed after end-of-night limo dispute in downtown Vancouver

A young man, 19, is in serious condition following a dispute between two groups

B.C. bus driver loses case to get job back after texting while driving full bus

An arbitator ruled that Tim Wesman’s phone usage was a “a reckless disregard for public safety”

B.C. Interior First Nation family ‘heartbroken’ over loss of young mom

RCMP have released no new information since the June 8, 2019 homicide

Revamped B.C. Lions set to battle veteran Winnipeg Blue Bombers

The Lions’ first test of the season will be a big one

No business case for Trans Mountain expansion, says former environment minister

Cabinet is expected to announce its decision on the expansion of the Alberta-to-B.C. pipeline by Tuesday

LETTER: British Columbia’s forest industry crisis being made worse

Andrew Wilkinson warns of regulatory overload by John Horgan’s NDP

Convicted B.C. child abductor Randall Hopley back in custody 6 months after release

Correctional Services Canada could not provide further details due to privacy concerns

Bears have killed 17 people in B.C. since 1986

Number of bear complaints and bears killed rose sharply during same period

Most Read