Five Langley school students were taken to hospital after playing with a discarded vaping device. Wikimedia Commons image

Five B.C. students taken to hospital after playing with vaping device

School district said students were taken to hospital ‘out of an abundance of caution’

Five Langley elementary school students were taken to hospital Friday after playing with a discarded vaping device, the school district said.

In a written statement released late Saturday, the district said there was an “incident” at R.C. Garnett school which required medical attention for five students.

“During recess, a staff member noticed a small group of students handling a vape device found on the school field. “

It appeared the students were playing with the device and had contact with the liquid contents.

READ MORE: Vaping among Canadian teens spiked 74 per cent in one year: study

Staff called B.C. Poison Control, which advised the school to call BC Ambulance Service.

Parents of the students involved were called.

“Out of an abundance of caution, the five students were brought to hospital to be monitored and were released,” the statement said.

It added that the district “wants to assure families that student and staff safety and well-being is a top priority. The school conducts daily sweeps of school property for any trash, glass, and drug paraphernalia.”

R.C. Garnett school sent a letter to parents informing them of the incident.

School staff will be discussing the dangers of picking up unknown objects with students.

“The District is also encouraging families to continue these conversations at home,” the district release said.

.

_________________________________

Is there more to this story?

Email: dan.ferguson@langleyadvancetimes.com

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter

_________________________________

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

COLUMN | Creating a “community of practice” inspires

Art Matters by columnist Sarah Zimmerman

Hockey puck with nails found at Terrace Sportsplex Arena

City believes it has already caused $4,000 of damage

Kitselas First Nation receives $1.2M boost for apprenticeship development program

Melanie Mark, Minister of Advanced Education announces $7.5M for six Indigenous training programs

Terrace Skating Club takes home 24 medals from regional championships

Skaters claim top spot for fifth year in a row

VIDEO: Mass coronavirus quarantines seen in China won’t happen in Canada, authorities say

‘If a case comes here, and it is probably … it will still be business as normal’

Province’s oldest practising lawyer shares advice at her 100th birthday party

Firefighters bring Constance Isherwood a cake with 100 birthday candles

Vernon woman suing McDonald’s for spilled coffee

Woman seeking nearly $10K, says employee failed to put lid on properly

Diners’ health tax not catching on in B.C., restaurant group says

Small businesses look for options to cover employer health tax

B.C. comic wins judgment after club owner slaps cellphone out of his hands

Incident happened last summer when Garrett Clark was performing in Abbotsford

Mayors call for ‘calmness’ as highway rockslide cuts Tofino, Ucluelet off from supplies

Ministry of transportation expects to open road for “essential travel only” from noon-8 p.m. Friday.

Owner surrenders dog suffering from days-old gunshot wound to B.C. SPCA

The dog was also found to be emaciated and suffering from a flea infestation

B.C. man dies after police called for ‘firearms injury’ in rural Alberta

Victim is 30-year-old Greater Victoria man, say police

Most Read