This photo of a sinkhole that opened up at Williams Creek bridge was posted on Facebook today.

This photo of a sinkhole that opened up at Williams Creek bridge was posted on Facebook today.

New Remo evacuation order lifted

50 people evacuated from New Remo early this morning, Oct. 25.

The Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine has canceled the evacuation order for New Remo, declaring imminent danger due to rising flood waters has diminished at this time.

In the event that conditions change an Evacuation Alert or Order may be re-issued and the evacuation process will re-commence.

RDKS declared a state of emergency due to the flooding in the regional district near Terrace.

Early this morning, at about 2 a.m., Emergency Support Services (ESS) helped evacuate 50 people out of New Remo because the water was rising so quickly, says Naomi Gourlay of ESS.

Search and rescue was called out. Fences were opened so cattle could get out.

Everyone was evacuated safely and a reception centre was set up to register people and provide referrals for clothing, billeting and food as some people had to get out at the drop of a hat, said Gourlay.

–original story corrected to say RDKS declared state of emergency and not Emergency Support Services (ESS) as previously stated –