Campfire ban to be rescinded in northwest

Today, July 22 at noon, fire officials plan to lift the ban on campfires in the northwest, however, open burning bans remain in effect.

At noon today, July 22, campfires will be allowed again in the northwest area, say regional fire officials.

The announcement comes as a result of the wet weather over the past few weeks which greatly reduced the fire risk after record-breaking temperatures forced the prohibition of all burning in the area earlier this month.

The city has also lifted their ban on campfires within the municipality, however people must still follow the restrictions outlined by the northwest fire officials.

The ban on campfires at Ferry Island was lifted by the city last week.

Fire officials in the northwest are now allowing campfires that are no larger than 0.5 metres high by 0.5 meters wide, all campstoves, tiki torches, burn barrels, and chimineas.

However, officials remind the public that backyard burning, larger fires, fireworks, and firecrackers remain prohibited as there is still a risk of wildfire.

“The fire danger rating in the northwest currently ranges from low to high. In areas with a ‘high’ fire danger rating, there is a serious wildfire risk,” said fire information officer Olivia Pojar.

She urges to public to remember to remove flammable debris from around the campfire and fully extinguish the fire (ensuring that the ashes are cold to the touch) before leaving the area.

Anyone reported in contravention of the ban on open-burning may face hefty fines and, if convicted in court, may get up to a one-year jail term.

To report a wildfire, unattended campfire or open burning violation, phone 1-800-663-5555 or dial *5555 on your cellphone.

 

Just Posted

‘It affects everybody:’ Trudeau’s brownface photos worry Wet’suwet’en chief

Skeena-Bulkley Valley Liberal candidate declines to comment on prime minister’s indiscretion

City of Terrace holds 39th annual Terry Fox Run

Almost $2K was raised towards cancer research

Former college trailers see new life with Kinsmen Club of Terrace

Eight trailers will be used to revive the organization’s youth camp at Lakelse Lake

Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture visits Nass Valley

Nisga’a Nation has great potential for Indigenous tourism, says Minister Lisa Beare

VIDEO: Trudeau asks Canada to look to current, not past, actions on race

Liberal leader says he never spoke about the racist photo because he was embarrassed

Horvat paces Canucks to 6-1 pre-season win over Oilers

Vancouver improves to 3-1 in NHL exhibition action

Legislature gifts, clothing, travel need better control, B.C. auditor says

Audit follows suspensions of managers by Speaker Darryl Plecas

‘Unacceptable’: What politicians have to say about Trudeau in blackface

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi: ‘When I saw that picture last night, certainly it was a sucker-punch’

‘He’s trying to kill me’: Victoria police commandeer boats to reach screaming woman

No charges laid and civilians to be awarded honours after incident on Gorge Waterway

VIDEO: B.C. man accused of assaulting sex worker loses temper in interrogation

Defence lawyer says statements made by accused Curtis Sagmoen should be deemed inadmissible

John Horgan promises action after fatal mid-Island bus crash

Premier cites students, local Indigneous community as reason to repair the road

Teens charged in stabbing death of B.C. man in strip mall parking lot

Two youths, aged 15 and 16, charged in Aug. 16 killing of South Surrey’s Paul Prestbakmo

Forestry watchdog warned B.C. government about Bamfield Road in 2008

Ombusman’s specific concerns re-surface in wake of bus crash that killed two students

Most Read