This home on Evergreen St. caught fire early in the morning of August 2 but thanks to its location

Blaze extinguished quickly thanks to witnesses close by

Thanks to helpful community members, an early morning fire was extinguished without anyone being injured last week.

  • Aug. 6, 2012 9:00 a.m.

THANKS TO plenty of witnesses who called it in, an early morning fire was extinguished without anyone being injured last week.

Just before 4 a.m.  Aug. 2, several people at Tim Hortons on the south side reported a fire at a house nearby on Evergreen St., said Terrace deputy fire chief Dave Jephson.

“We had a lot of witnesses. It’s amazing who’s going to work and driving around at 4 a.m.,” said Jephson, referring to the number of calls to the fire department.

One witness even went into the building to get the occupant out, said Jephson.

“Again it shows the [sense of] community we have at 4 a.m., one of the witnesses … outside on his way to work witnesses the fire and realized in talking with people there could be someone in the house,” said Jephson.

“He kicked the door in and went in and started searching and yelling.”

“He (the occupant) heard a loud noise and then came out and I believe the noise he heard probably was the young individual who had smashed the door and gained access,” added Jephson, saying the occupant was out of the house when firefighters arrived.

Seventeen firefighters and three fire trucks responded to see the roof on fire and extinguished the blaze quickly, he said. BC Hydro had cut the power to ensure the firefighters’ safety and paramedics and the police were on scene, he added.

When you look at the house, there’s not many places for ventilation so no air was going in, which kept the fire from burning more than it would have otherwise in an older building, said Jephson.

“There’s no question if the fire had got going more, especially in the attic, it could’ve blocked the exit as that’s where the door was,” said Jephson, adding if the blaze had not been at a busy place with witnesses, things may have been worse.

The fire appeared to start from the main electrical wire coming into the house due to a short, said Jephson, referring to what the provincial electrical inspector had found.


Just Posted

Moose hunting restrictions proposed to help balance population and allocation

Regulation options set to move forward with input by April or May 2018

Province to boost ER services at Mills Memorial

Money to add salaried doctor positions

Province opens public input on policing standards

The move flows from recommendations of the Missing Women Commission of Inquiry

Terrace hockey player breaks all-time points record in Major Midget League

Prospects are bright for Mason Richey, suiting up this fall with the West Kelowna Warriors

Ottawa proposes restricted pot labels, packages

Packaging will include red stop sign with marijuana leaf and ‘THC’

How to keep local news visible in your Facebook feed

Facebook has changed the news feed to emphasize personal connections. You might see less news.

Golden Knights win 4-1, remain undefeated against Canucks

Vegas gets points from 12 players in dominating effort versus Vancouver

Alberta budget plans for Trans Mountain expansion

Finance Minister Joe Ceci says expected revenues will be factored into budget forecasts

Proposed gun bill attacked by gun owners and shooting victims

The federal government tabled the bill today in order to tighten the sale and tracking of firearms

New anti-radicalization centre in the works for B.C.

Centre aims to help ‘vulnerable individuals on the path to radicalization’ before they turn to crime

Terrace Interiors Ltd. to close after 56 years

The interior paint store will shut its doors on May 10

B.C. bravery, public service honoured by Governor General Julie Payette

UVic basketball coach Kathryn Shields inducted into Order of Canada

Most Read