Google Maps

Eskay Creek gold mine acquired by Skeena Resources

Purchase from Barrick Gold further stregnthens company’s foothold on Golden Triangle

A junior exploration company hopes to revitalize what was once a flagship of the BC mining industry, the Eskay Creek gold mine.

Skeena Resources announced Dec. 18 it has acquired 100 per cent interest in the property. This marks Skeena’s second property acquired from Barrick Gold Corporation, strengthening their foothold in the Golden Triangle, the company’s primary focus. The Eskay Creek property produced 3.3-million ounces of gold and 160-million ounces of silver from 1994 until its closure in 2008.

Skeena’s CEO Walter Coles Jr. said site enhancements and provincial infrastructure investments, such as the Hwy. 37 Transmission Line, have created an ideal climate for smaller, nimbler companies to move into the places where industry giants have moved out.

“I get a little frustrated sometimes talking with investors and other companies who get so excited with the Yukon, but the Yukon doesn’t nearly have the infrastructure that British Columbia has,” Coles said. “It’s tremendous. We’re evaluating these projects on the belief that, due to the infrastructure, the cost of putting a mine into production is going to be lower. Plus we have a higher gold price today.”

Cole doesn’t expect the output Eskay once produced, then Canada’s highest-grade gold mine, but is betting on multiple properties to generate upwards of 100,000 ounces per year.

Skeena is currently reviewing historic exploration and production data to build upon previous geological understanding of the property, and will then develop an upgraded geological model.

The deal with Barrick was struck over a $10 million purchase price, payable once the required $3.5 million in exploration expenditures is met. Skeena will also reimburse reclamation costs to Barrick, who will retain a back-in right to purchase 51 per cent of the property with conditions.

As part of the deal, Skeena announced Dec. 22 it had closed a strategic investment with Barrick of $1 million for 1,250,000 flow-through shares valued at 80 cents each. The proceeds will be used for Canadian exploration expenses.

It’s still too early for Skeena to commit to any employment projections, but the company expects the numbers to be on par with its nearby Snip property, currently employing between 30 and 40 workers during the drilling phase.


 


quinn@terracestandard.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Former Terrace mayor Dave Maroney passes away

Maroney had been instrumental in the growth of the city services in late 1970s

Terrace RCMP seek witnesses to fatal hit and run

Police are asking for the public’s help in solving a fatal hit… Continue reading

Terrace’s new aquatic centre to open next week

The Terrace and District Aquatic Centre will offer free admission from Nov. 22 to Dec. 2

Northern First Nations partnership reshaping government’s approach to reconciliation

Kaska, Tahltan and Tlingit First Nations share Premier’s Award for Innovation with ministry

Kitimat arena closed until further notice due to chilling system malfunction

Saturday night’s Terrace River Kings and Kitimat Ice Demons game was cancelled as a result

Six students arrested, charged in sex assault probe at Toronto all-boys school

The school’s principal, Greg Reeves, described the video of the alleged sexual assault as ‘horrific’

Bolder action needed to reduce child poverty: Campaign 2000 report card

The report calls for the federal government to provide more funding to the provinces, territories and Indigenous communities to expand affordable, quality child care.

Judge bars US from enforcing Trump asylum ban

Protesters accused the migrants of being messy, ungrateful and a danger to Tijuana; complained about how the caravan forced its way into Mexico, calling it an “invasion.”

Ottawa Redblacks defensive back Jonathan Rose suspended for Grey Cup

Rose was flagged for unnecessary roughness and ejected for contacting an official with 37 seconds left in the first half following a sideline melee after a Tiger-Cats reception.

Mistrial declared in Dennis Oland’s retrial in father’s murder

The verdict from Oland’s 2015 murder trial was set aside on appeal in 2016 and a new trial ordered. Richard Oland, 69, was found dead in his Saint John office on July 7, 2011.

Laine scores 3 as Jets double Canucks 6-3

Injury-riddled Vancouver side drops sixth in a row

Deportation averted for Putin critic who feared return to Russia

Elena Musikhina, a vocal critic of the Kremlin, has been granted a two-year visitor’s permit in Canada

B.C. to allow Uber-style ride hailing services to operate in late 2019

Fee will be applied to fund options for disabled people

Auditor general takes aim at Liberals’ fighter-jet plan

Suditor general Michael Ferguson is about to release a new report on Canada’s attempts to buy new fighter jets

Most Read