WITH THE planting season now here, Skeena Fall Fair organizers have released the list of vegetable, fruit and other food categories for those working out what they plant and how the resulting crops can figure in entering the Sept. 6 fair this year.
1. Vegetables: Beans, all types, beets, Broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chard, corn, cabbage, cucumber (slicing and pickling), garlic, green onions, kale, lettuce, leeks, onions (white, yellow and red), peas (shelling and edible pod), peppers (bell and other, including hot), parsley, parsnips, potatoes, tomatoes (cherry and other), turnips, zucchini. herbs, four kinds, and oddest from any of the above.
2. Fruit: apples, (green and red), cranapples, blackberries, currants and gooseberries, grapes, pears, plums, most exotic.
3. Home produce: butter; cheese, (any style), eggs, cow’s milk, goat’s milk, yogurt.
5. Wine and Beer: wine from grapes, wine from tree fruit, herbs, or other. lagers, ales, ciders.
6. Home Preserves (canned): applesauce, crabapple, cherry, pear; peach, berry, other. Pickled beans, pickled beets, sauerkraut, tomatoes, other vegetables, fish, most unusual canning.
7. Home Preserves (Dried): dried fruit, any type, fruit leather, dried vegetables and mushrooms.
8. Jams and Jellies: apple and crabapple, black currant, red currant and gooseberry, raspberry, strawberry, cherry, plum, wild fruit, marmalade, fruit conserve, freezer jam (any type), other.
9. Pickles, Relishes and Other: dill cucumber pickles, dilled other vegetables, sweet pickles, any vegetable, pickled beets, relish, chutney, antipasto, mincemeat, oils and vinegars.
10. Home Baking: breads of whole wheat, white, multigrain and other grains. raisin/fruit breads, buns, sweet buns or breads, muffins, cakes – layer cake, pound cake, loaf cake, any type, and best decorated cake. Cookies, any type, cupcakes, brownies, squares, pies and tarts of apple, other fruit, pumpkin, lemon meringue, other pie and tarts of any kind.
11. Flowers: asters; dahlias (under and over 6 inches, cosmos, gladiolus, marigolds (under and over 2 inches, nasturtium, phlox, pinks, roses (single bloom and grouping, snapdragons, sweet peas, sunflower (single and sprays), flowering vine, flowering basket/contained max 16 inches, any variety grouping, mixed flower arrangement, tea-cup bouquet.
Open Livestock Classes.
Poultry: Exhibitors may enter more than one entry per class, maximum of three class (different breeds). Chicken pullets, any breed, standard breed pairs, bantam fowl pairs, hen and chicks, any breed, turkey pairs, any breed
Waterfowl: Any breed, duck pairs, geese pairs.
Rabbits: All classes include bucks and does, under six months and over six months.
1. Commercial (meat or fur i.e. Californian, Glemish Giant).
2. Fancy (i.e. Netherland Dwarf, Holland Lop, Lionhead)
3. Wool (i.e. Angora)
4. Doe with litter (purebred or crossbred)
More categories, including crafts, as well as entry forms, details and judging standards are at www. skeenavalleyfallfair.com