With national library month being celebrated this October, the Terrace Public Library is partaking in its festivities and offering the fun to anyone with a library card.
The Terrace Public Library has partnered with 27 local businesses to offer discounts with their Smartest Card in Your Wallet program while raising the awareness of the valuable role that libraries play in society.
“I think that libraries are the pillars in the community and offer services to everybody,” says library director David Tremblay. “It’s a way to drum up interest in library cards to some extent and it promotes shopping locally to get people to come downtown.”
For Tremblay, having a library card is more than just checking out books. He says libraries have always existed as places of gathering and provide the community with various services to improve their lives.
From educational workshops, various clubs, a library of things, adult literacy help to even offering digital access to publications and audiobooks online, Tremblay says that libraries this year are coming together across the province as part of the BC Library Trustees Association to push for more funding.
In recent years, financial support has decreased despite more library users and virtual programming. The association’s aim is to have provincial funding at $20 million for B.C. libraries by 2020.
“There’s a big push right now to get the provincial government to increase the amount that they give to libraries that the previous government slashed as it hasn’t been risen since and it doesn’t really meet those cost of inflation,” says Tremblay.
On a local level, Tremblay says they just expanded their digital audiobook collection on one of the library apps, RBdigital, which now offers almost 40,000 titles without any holds.
The Terrace Public Library is also trying to get more students to take advantage of their facility but recognizes that some schools aren’t within walking distance to the library. With help from Diversified Transportation BC, they will be able to transport one classroom per month for free to access their programs for the day.
Following previous years of success, Tremblay says that he’s happy that many local businesses and patrons are excited about national library month.
Alongside the discounts and promotions across town that library cardholders can access, he adds they will also be hosting a pop quiz event at Sherwood Mountain Brewery near the end of October with the date soon to be announced.
Participating business promotions with the Smartest Card in Your Wallet program (only available with a library card throughout October):
- Misty River Books — 10 per cent off
- Glow Boutique — 10 per cent off everything in store (excluding local artisans)
- R.E.D. Cycles — 10 per cent off all in-stock items
- All Seasons — 10 per cent off regular priced items
- Antiques, Artisans & Oddities — 10 per cent off country chic paint
- Baker Extraordinaire — 10 per cent off regular priced baked goods
- Fiori Design — 10 per cent off in-store flowers
- Chill Soda Shop — 10 per cent off toys, games and puzzles
- Comic Encounters — 10 per cent off graphic novels and manga
- Dynamic Health Services — 10 per cent off
- Exploring Future Technology — 30 per cent off VR experience and 15 per cent off repair services
- Exposition Coffee — 10 per cent off
- Gemma’s — No tax, plus show card and be entered into a draw to win a $50 gift card (purchase not neccessary)
- Grace Fell Florist — 10 per cent off
- Handy Dandy – No tax
- Hatfield Consultants — 5 per cent off consulting fees
- Terrace Standard — 15 per cent off all print advertising rates
- New Age Insights — 10 per cent off crystal tumble stones
- Raven Prints — 20 per cent off everything
- Red Raven Gallery — Free note card
- Sonny’s Collectables — 20 per cent off any single card
- Studio Salon 3 Spa — 15 per cent off retail purchases over $100
- The Nuk Barber Shop — 15 per cent off cuts with Brandon, 20 per cent off cuts with Kenneth
- Trigo’s — 20 per cent off regularly priced fashion and footwear
- Xanders Coffee — 10 per cent off
- Wings Terrace — 20 per cent off all food at the table
- Urban Pets — 20 per cent all Mrs. Ruff Treats