Deputy fire chief Dave Jephson

Quick thinking douses grass fire

Thanks to being in the right place at the right time, a Terrace business manager prevents a blaze after a transformer blows

  • Wed Jul 8th, 2015 6:00pm
  • News

Scott Mitchell, manager of AquaClear, was having a conversation with a health officer in the foyer of his business when they both saw a flash of light on a power pole and then smoke rising from grass across Greig Ave.

“I knew if we didn’t get it out quickly, it would spread quickly,” said Mitchell, about the grass fire that ignited from sparks dropping from a transformer.

He grabbed one of the company’s 18.9 litre water bottles and yelled to his employees behind him to grab some bottles too.

They went out the door across the street to find a blaze about seven or eight feet in diameter, and began dousing it with the bottles of water, he said.

Deputy fire chief Dave Jephson was alerted, and when he and a small fire crew came to the scene, they doused the area with even more water.

“I’m not a fan of ‘it’s all out,'” said Jephson.

“The boys had done a good job putting it out,” he added.

BC Hydro arrived to check the transformer and advised that the power would be out for about an hour to the business.

Environmental Health Officer Steve Simone, who had been with Mitchell when they spotted the smoke, called Mitchell a hero, saying before he could punch in the password on his phone and take a photo of the fire, it was out.