Man bear sprays himself at out-of-control party
The Terrace RCMP responded to approximately 99 calls for service from Friday, October 12, 8 AM till Monday, October 15, 8 AM. Six of these calls were for false alarms/911.
During the same time period 18 people were lodged in Terrace Cells. 13 of these were for public intoxication.
Here are some of the calls responded to:
- A blue 2011 Ford Fusion was the victim of a hit and run that occurred on Thursday, October 11 between 4 PM and 9 PM either in the Safeway or Airport parking lot. The vehicle suffered extensive damage to the rear driver’s side bumper.
- Two vehicle collision on Keith Ave and Kalum St on Friday, October 12 at 2 PM. A green 2004 Chevrolet Silverado driven by a 51 yr old man was rear ended by a red 2005 Mazda 3 driven by a 17 yr old boy. The Mazda was towed. No injuries.
- A 27 yr old man known to police as a prohibited driver was observed driving a red 1999 GMC Yukon. The vehicle was observed to pull into a parking lot and the driver and passenger switched positions. The vehicle was pulled over and the passenger was arrested for driving while prohibited and the vehicle was impounded.
- Hit and run on Saturday, October 13 at 1 AM in the parking lot of the Northern Motor Inn. A yellow Ford pickup truck was observed to hit a black Ford van and then leave. The van suffered damage to the passenger side rear doors. Under investigation.
- A person breaking windows at Thornhill Elementary School. Police located an intoxicated 15 yr old boy with a bloody arm in the vicinity of the school and arrested him for mischief. Five of the school windows were broken. Under investigation.
- A 41 yr old man was causing a disturbance at the airport. He was calling an employee names and trying to get behind the counter at the café. Police located the man seated at the café and told him that he was no longer welcome.
- A 32 yr old man was struck by a white 2011 Chevrolet Suburban while walking on the crosswalk at Hwy 37/Hwy 16. The vehicle did not stop. The man suffered minor injuries and attended to Mills Memorial Hospital for treatment. Under investigation.
- Theft of a laptop from a hospital room on October 12. The laptop is described as a black Toshiba Satellite with a 15 inch screen with power cables and a carrying case.
- Police attended a panic alarm at the airport on October 12 at 2:47 PM. Airport security observed a sharp object in a bag that went thru x-ray. Police seized a set of aluminum knuckles. A 24 yr old woman was arrested for possession of a prohibited weapon.
- Police are investigating an alleged sexual assault that occurred on October 13 at 1PM near the Husky on Park Ave.
- Police were called on October 13 at 7 PM to the Skeena Middle School where a man was attempting to light a blue 2008 GMC Sierra truck on fire in the parking lot. Police located a 27 yr old man in the vicinity matching the description and arrested him for arson. Charges of arson are being forwarded to Crown Counsel. Damage was minimal.
- Break and enter to a shed on Clarence Michiel School property. Police located a group of youth inside of the shed. It was not broken into and there was nothing in the shed. The group had been consuming alcohol and had gone into the shed to warm up.
- Suicidal 12 yr old girl. Police apprehended the girl under the Mental Health Act and transported her to Mills Memorial Hospital. An hour later police were called back to the hospital because the girl had fled. Police located the girl soaking wet wandering the bushes behind the hospital. She was apprehended under the Mental Health Act and transported to Mills Memorial Hospital again.
- A vehicle off road and partially in the bushes on Hwy 37. The 41 yr old driver lost control of the blue 2008 Pontiac G6 on the wet road. The driver was uninjured. The vehicle suffered minor damage.
- Mills Memorial Hospital requested police assistance with the apprehension of a 22 yr old patient. The patient returned on their own a short time later.
- Suicidal 55 yr old woman. Police attended to the residence. It was locked and no one was responding inside. Police gained entry to the residence by crawling thru an open second story window. It was accessed via the roof of an ambulance. The woman was transported to Mills Memorial Hospital via BC Ambulance.
- Out of control party in Gitaus on October 14 at 1:30 PM. An intoxicated man was asked to leave. He became upset and took bear spray from his backpack and sprayed bear spray towards the house. He contaminated himself. Witnesses managed to take the bear spray away from him. The 20 yr old man was arrested for assault with a weapon.
- Numerous calls of a group of youth causing problems on Walsh Ave. They are egging houses and checking vehicles. The group is described as 3 boys and a girl with long blonde hair all about 13 yrs of age.
- Bear in a carport on Lamblay Ave.
People with information on crime are asked to contact the Terrace RCMP at (250)638-7400 or anonymously through Crime Stoppers by telephone at
1-800-222-TIPS, online at www.terracecrimestoppers.ca or by texting TERRACE plus your message to 274637 (CRIMES).