- BC Games
Open fire ban lifted
An open fire ban announced last week has been lifted for the Terrace area and some of B.C.'s northwest.
A ban is still in effect for the Morice, Bulkley and Lakes timber supply areas, said a release from the Northwest Fire Centre today.
The ban was put into effect last week to help prevent human-caused wildfires from sparking in the region after a bout of warm, dry weather. It will remain in place for the three above areas until Oct. 15 or until the public is otherwise notified, said the release.
The ban prevents the burning of waste, slash or other material; the burning of stubble or grass; and the use of fireworks or burning barrels of any size or description.
It does not apply to cooking stoves that use gas or campfires no larger than 0.5 metres in diameter.
"Anyone found in contravention of an open fire prohibition may be issued a ticket for $345 or, if convicted in court, be fined up to $100,000 and sentenced to one year in jail. Anyone who causes a wildfire through arson or recklessness can be fined up to $1 million or spend three years in prison, and be held accountable for associated firefighting costs," said the release.
Report a wildfire or unattended campfire by calling *5555 on your cellphone or 1 800 663-5555 toll-free.