News

Twice deadly fire in Terrace ruled accidental

THE CAUSE of death of two men in a fatal house fire here one year ago has been determined to be an accident.

Gabriel and Lawrence Williams, both 20, died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning from smoke inhalation in the January 2011 fire, said the coroner's report.

Other conditions contributing to death were alcohol intoxication and the report said neither man woke up during the slow burning residential fire.

On Jan. 15, 2011, firefighters were called to the residential blaze on Scott Ave. and upon entering the building, they discovered two deceased men upstairs in two separate bedrooms, the report continued.

An investigator from the Fire Commissioner's office and the RCMP aided in the investigation, said the report.

Police were told by others who had been in the residence that both men “passed out” before the fire broke out, the report continued.

Fire investigators determined that the blaze began in a closet at the top of the stairs likely from a cigarette discarded into the contents on the floor of the closet as they found no evidence of any other cause, said the report.

The closet did not contain any electrical appliances or connections and no evidence of any accelerant was found, the report said.

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Amrik Virk advised Kwantlen on secret executive bonus
 
Klabona Keepers served permanent injunction
 
Prince Rupert LNG plant, pipelines get B.C. certificates
Local resident’s story a success for international student program
 
UPDATE: Rice receives written confirmation of changes to wheelchair cabin policy
 
Snowfall keeps school buses parked and causes power outages
Robbery, assault land Penticton man in jail
 
Blanket drive warming up the community
 
SOWINS wants everyone to share the spirit of giving

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 26 edition online now. Browse the archives.