News

Fire burns Thornhill home

FIRE GUTTED this home in Copper Mountain Estates yesterday. - JANINE WORKMAN PHOTO
FIRE GUTTED this home in Copper Mountain Estates yesterday.
— image credit: JANINE WORKMAN PHOTO

A fire in Thornhill has caused significant damage to a mobile home, with no injuries to its occupants.

Thornhill Fire Chief Wes Patterson said firefighters received a call about 3:30 p.m. yesterday afternoon.

Upon arrival, there was heavy smoke throughout the building and some flames, he said.

One adult homeowner who was in the residence, which is home to a family of four, managed to escape safely.

Patterson said the man had been trying to thaw pipes in his home with an electric heat gun.

“At this time, we believe it started from him trying to thaw pipes out,” Patterson said.

Firefighters were on-site for three hours. It took about an hour to extinguish the flames.

“It was difficult to put out,” Patterson said, explaining part of the home had been gutted by the fire while the rest suffered heavy smoke and heat damage.

He advised the public to be cautious when dealing with cold conditions.

Patterson warned people to check chimneys before using wood stoves, be careful with extension cords and portable heaters and call a professional plumber when dealing with frozen pipes.

 

 

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, September 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Aug 29 edition online now. Browse the archives.