Charges laid in fatal shooting of Terrace teen

The 16-year-old suspect appeared in court earlier this month

  • Thu Apr 23rd, 2015 6:00am
  • Draft

A teen involved in the shooting death of another teen has been charged.

The young person, who cannot be named or identified according to the Youth Criminal Justice Act, is facing a charge of manslaughter using a firearm and criminal negligence causing death involving a firearm.

On Feb. 10, Terrace RCMP reported that officers were called to a residence on Molitor Street where they found a 15-year-old youth suffering from a gunshot wound around 10 p.m. Feb. 9.

The youth was transported by BC Ambulance to Mills Memorial Hospital where he later succumbed to his injury, said police at that time.

A 16-year-old Terrace youth, who was also at the residence, was taken into police custody, reported police.

The teen was later released to his parents on several conditions, said police Feb. 11.

It is believed that the two individuals knew each other and the public is not at risk as a result of this incident, said police.

The young person made a first appearance in court April 7 and is next scheduled for court in June.